Of course changing the wheel-bearings turned out to be no easy feat. We ended up buying several new tools and at least three new sockets because the front and back and shocks all had a different size nut. We also had to figure out how/where to get the bearing pressed in and out of the middle of the hub (it is a cylinder that 'slides' into the center of the hub for those who don't know. Anyway, it would have cost a couple hundred dollars (possibly each) to have just that part done at the shop. Our great friend Roger works on airplanes at the airport and had access to a press. He and Mike spent a couple hours on the press. Those bearings get pretty stuck after being in there for years and they aren't really meant to move freely anyway. One of them was so stuck that it basically exploded out of the hub when it let go. I could hear the POP from Mike's car outside (where I sat with a crying toddler because what we imagined would take half an hour became much more and he was hungry and I had no snack...note to self: NEVER assume you won't need a snack!).
All in all I have new shocks and new wheel-bearings (and the fourth one was about to fail so it was a good thing we replaced it). It took hours and hours because the parts just couldn't cooperate and Mike ended up working on some of our rainiest Saturdays this fall. It truly was an ADVENTURE ;)!