Monday, November 14, 2011

Weekend Crafting Adventures

Being Veteran's Day Friday I got to have a three day weekend.  It was a busy one full of crafting projects.  We were going to be having company on Friday night and Saturday night, so I started Friday by making a very rich dessert.  The bottom was a brownie, followed by a layer of peanut butter cookie dough (egg free), topped with a chocolate ganache and peanut butter chips.
The recipe can be found here.

I spent the afternoon with a friend shopping JoAnn's and then making fabric flowers.  We twisted fabric to make roses.  We stacked layers of a more synthetic fabric (I think it was taffeta, I'm not good with those names: organza, taffeta, etc...) and singed the edges; add a button or pretty pearls to the center and you have another rose or poppy style flower.  I guess they are like the ones Anthropologie sells, but since we don't have one in Juneau I wouldn't know.  We also cut circles, folded them in quarters and tacked them down together to make a third flower.

Fabric Rose Tutorial - fantastic directions by the way
Synthetic Singed flower Tutorial - excellent directions and great pictures for inspiration!
Circles flower tutorial - I think this one may be the most difficult to get it looking how you like.


Saturday we had a crafting afternoon at church where we made a sample of several ideas for the Christmas season.  I'll blog more about that later.  But we made paper flower ornaments, Christmas stars, learned to tie pretty bows and got ideas for gift bags/tags.  Mostly we just enjoyed each other's company.



Sunday I worked on the project that actually inspired the desire to try the flowers.  I'd been wanting to make fabric headbands.  I tried a couple was to do the stretchy part at the back and ended up following the directions on the blog.  I'm still not sure I want to do it exactly that way but I was too impatient to wait to go back to JoAnn's and get different supplies.  My favorite part about it is that it is reversible. Double-sided fabric headband tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment